Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My cleaner is from Marakech and she makes this lovely couscous. I have sat, watched and copied everything so here it is. If I haven't explained properly, please let me know
- 1 kg couscous
- 250 g sultanas
- parsley (lots)
- 8 red onions
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 whole chicken (or beef)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons saffron
- 4 teaspoons ginger
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- olive oil (for frying)
- In a deep saucepan fry in the olive oil 4 onions for about 5-8 minute add pepper and cinnamon stick (snap the stick before placing in pan).
- Bring to the boil and then reduce heat.
- Add 2 tsp Zaffron, and 2 tsp ginger and sugar and mix well.
- Add the sultanas, mix and gently simmer for about 30 min (on low heat).
- Chop the tomatoes and the other 4 onions, clean and quarter the chicken and add to the tomatoes and onions.
- Add the other 2 tsp saffron and 2 tsp ginger, 2 ½ pints water and salt. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and gently simmer until chicken is cooked.
- In a separate bowl, add the cuscous and salted water. Add the water little by little and mix with fingers, until cuscous is damp and not sticking together.
- Place cuscous in a steamer (top) and steam until cooked. If needed, add a little more water to couscous while steaming.
- Place the cooked cuscous on a dish, add the onion and cinnamon sauce, then the chicken and sauce on top.