Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Githeri is a simple yet nourishing dish that originated with the Kikuyu tribe. The combination of beans and corn supplies a full complement of protein for the often protein-poor Kenyans. Posted for ZWT7-Africa. Found on the internet.
- 2 cups corn, cut fresh off the cob or 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups beans, any type (cooked)
- water, to cover
- salt and pepper
- Add the corn and beans to a large pot with enough water just to cover. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- Variations: substitute hominy for the corn. Cook the beans and corn with some chopped potatoes and chopped greens; mash together well. Use any kind of beans; pinto,kidney,black-eyed peas,green peas or pigeon peas. To give the dish more flavor and texture, add some chopped greens, sauteed onions, cubed potatoes or cassava, stew meat or a little curry powder.
such a simple and easy recipe to make. I used frozen corn and chickpeas (garbanzo beans), because I always liked the combination. And it keeps well overnight, too.