Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mom's recipe. A really good pot of beans.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -4 lbs roma green beans
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 lb country ham or 1⁄4 lb ham hocks or 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 1 -2 cup chicken broth
- Wash the beans, remove the tips, and break all beans in half. Set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan or dutch oven. Add onion and saute until transluscent.
- Add the broken beans, salt and pepper to taste and saute. When the beans begin to soften, add the ham or bacon, and continue to saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until beans are soft.
Absolutely delicious! I sliced my onion into rings instead of chopping it, otherwise made just as specified. Easy to make and such wonderful flavor - a terrific way to cook fresh green beans - thanks for sharing your mom's recipe! Made for Spring PAC 2009