Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the best slaw recipe. It was printed in a local newspaper years ago. The recipe keeps well tightly covered up to 5 days. I like to make it the day before I plan to serve it.
- 6 cups of thinly sliced cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I use reduced fat)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 -3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons instant minced onion
- Combine cabbage, sugar, carrots, salt, pepper and milk. Cover and refrigerate about 15-20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, buttermilk, celery seed, hot pepper sauce and dry onions.
- Combine cabbage mixture and dressing mixture.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Drain some of the dressing and serve it separately for those who want a jucier slaw. The sugar and milk will draw out much of the natural juice in the cabbage while it chills.
A really tasty slaw that is very easy to make. Rather than sliced cabbage and shredded carrot, I used a bag of coleslaw mix (call me lazy). I then followed the recipe exactly as posted. I noticed that after the cabbage mixture sat for 15-20 minutes, it was a bit watery. I still added the dressing mixture and later drained some liquid when the slaw was fully combined. I was worried that there was too much sugar but the hot sauce offset that. Many compliments all around, and definitely worth making again. Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2012.
Delicious! Everyone thoroughly enjoyed this slaw. We particularly loved the zip that the hot sauce gave it. Very nice, and distinctive. Thanks for sharing it, Lucky in Bayview.
I cut the recipe in half and I did add a little more fresh onion (besides the instant minced onion) because we love onion. Still it wasn't over done. DH loved it and cleaned the bowl! Thank you for submitting the recipe. Served with Pan Fried Tilapia from Sandra Lee#399796 and Sliced Baked Potatoes#286965. Made for SPRING PAC 2010.