Cook3 hrs 45 mins
My recipe for an oven-roasted turkey seasoned with my KFC Original Recipe Breading Mix (Copycat).
Make and share this Kentucky Roasted Turkey recipe from Food.com.
- 7257.47 g fresh turkey (pre-brined okay)
BRINE (IF USING UNBRINED TURKEY)
- 7568.0 ml water or 7570.88 ml water
- 177.44 ml unseasoned meat tenderizer
- 88.74 ml msg
- prepared turkey stuffing (1/2 - 1 Savory Herbed Poultry Dressing)
- 118.29 ml soft unsalted butter
- 29.58 ml seasoning (KFC Original Recipe Breading Mix (Copycat))
- 473.18 ml water
- 2 quartered large onions
- 6 crosswise-halved peeled carrots
- 6 crosswise-cut celery ribs
- 1 bunch fresh sage
- 3 bay leaves
- NOTE: FOR THIS RECIPE YOU MUST BEGIN WITH A VERY CLEAN OVEN! (STEP ONE): PLACE one fresh (or properly, completely thawed) 16 lb turkey in a large colander in sink; REMOVE neck and gizzards from one fresh (save neck and gizzards for stuffing and/or gravy if desired); RINSE turkey inside and out under cold running water above colander; ALLOW to drain; MEASURE the BRINE BASE ingredients into a sterilized 5 gallon bucket: 8 quarts (32 cups) water, 3/4 cup unseasoned meat tenderizer, 6 tablespoons Accent seasoning; SLOWLY lower turkey into the bucket with brine; COVER; ADJUST refrigerator racks to fit the 5 gallon bucket; PLACE bucket in refrigerator between 12 to 24 hours (if desired you may inject the brine solution into turkey evenly, using a poultry brine injector).
- PREPARE the stuffing for Recipe #490665 refrigerate until chilled; REMOVE top rack from oven; PLACE bottom rack in the lowest position; PREHEAT oven to 450°F.
- SOFTEN 1 stick unsalted butter to room temperature; FUNNEL 2 tablespoons Recipe #422315 (use seasoning mix only without added flour) into an empty spice shaker; SET aside.
- REMOVE turkey from brine after marinating; SET turkey again in the large colander in sink; BRING a large pot of water to near-boiling; CAREFULLY pour scalding hot water over turkey skin and into cavities; ALLOW turkey to drain and cool in colander; LOOSEN skin from turkey from the neck end by sliding fingers under the skin to the end of the breast without tearing skin; APPLY the butter well under the beast skin and on every outer surface, followed by a sprinkle of the reserved seasoning in spice shaker; TURN turkey breast side down and sprinkle cavity of turkey well with the seasoning; FILL neck cavity with prepared stuffing without packing; CLOSE skin flap over and sew-fasten with toothpicks; TURN turkey over; TUCK the wing tips below turkey to secure in place. FILL the large cavity of turkey loosely with stuffing; TIE legs together securely using kitchen twine; SPRINKLE turkey liberally and evenly with the reserved seasoning in spice shaker (you don't have to use all of the seasoning, just season turkey well).
- ADD the prepared onions, carrots and celery to the bottom of a large roasting pan; ARRANGE the sage sprigs and bay leaves over vegetables; POUR 2 cups water into roasting pan to cover herbs completely; PLACE a roasting rack over vegetables and herbs in pan; PLACE turkey onto rack; RUB the outer surfaces of turkey evenly and generously with the remaining RUB; PLACE turkey into preheated 450°F oven on low rack.
- FIRST, set oven timer for 45 minutes; ROAST turkey at 450°F until timer sounds; REDUCE oven temperature to 325°F; SET oven timer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- INSERT an instant-read thermometer without touching bone into the thickest part of the breast to read 165°F -- and in the thigh -- 180°F; OTHERWISE, continue roasting at 325°F and basting if desired) and reading temperature of turkey, until the temperatures are reached.
- TRANSFER turkey to a serving platter; COVER turkey loosely with foil; ALLOW turkey to set between 20-30 minutes before carving.
- CARVE properly for optimum enjoyment.
- SERVE and enjoy!