1 hr 30 mins
From the cookbook, "The Glory of Southern Cooking" by James Villas. This is pretty much exactly how my grandma made beans straight from the garden.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Note: The recipe called for a 1-inch chunk of streak-o-lean (lean salt pork), but the website doesn't recognize. You can use streak-o-lean if you can find it, ham hock, pork belly, or bacon.
- 2Pinch off the ends of the beans, and if necessary, remove any strings. Snap the beans into 1-1/2 inch pieces, rinse well in a colander and transfer to a large pot.
- 3Add the cooking meat, salt and pepper and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer the beans slowly until tender but still slightly firm, about 1 hour.
- 4Meanwhile, rinse the potatoes to remove any grit, cut away a strip of peel around the center of each with a vegetable peeler.
- 5Add the potatoes to the beans, stir and continue to simmer until tender, about 30 minutes, adding more water if needed.
- 6Drain and serve hot in a large bowl.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kentucky Pole Beans and Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (491 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.8
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 264.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: