BRINE (SKIP IF TURKEY IS ALREADY BRINED)
- 8 quarts water (32 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup unseasoned meat tenderizer
- 6 tablespoons msg
TURKEY (BRINED TURKEY OKAY)
- 1 (14 -16 lb) fresh unbrined turkey
- 1⁄4 cup seasoning (KFC Original Recipe Breading Mix (Copycat))
FRYING OIL (4 GALLONS VEGETABLE OIL OR)
- peanut oil
- NOTES: THOROUGHLY STUDY ARTICLES (OR WATCH YOUTUBE VIDEOS) REGARDING SAFETY HAZARD PREVENTION WHEN DEEP-FRYING TURKEY. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND PREPARE THIS RECIPE ONLY IF YOU HAVE A BARBOUR 1118 32-QUART STAINLESS STEEL TURKEY DEEP FRYER SET (WITH ACCOMPANYING INSTRUCTIONS, DEEP-FRYING BASKET, RACK AND HOOK). THE ENTIRE SET CAN PURCHASED ONLINE FOR AS LOW AS $92.00.DO NOT BRINE TURKEY IF USING PRE-BRINED TURKEY (TURKEY ENHANCED IN A SALINE SOLUTION OR BROTH; CHECK INGREDIENT LABEL). (STEP ONE): PLACE a large colander in sink; REMOVE neck and gizzards from one fresh (or properly, completely thawed) 14-16 pound turkey (save neck and gizzards for stuffing and/or gravy if desired); RINSE turkey inside and out under cold running water above colander; ALLOW to drain; MEASURE the BRINE ingredients into a sterilized 5 gallon bucket: 8 quarts (32 cups) water, 3/4 cup unseasoned meat tenderizer, and 6 tablespoons MSG.
- SLOWLY lower turkey into the bucket with brine; COVER turkey; ADJUST refrigerator racks to fit the 5 gallon bucket; PLACE bucket in refrigerator for 12 (and up to) 24 hours (if desired you may inject the brine solution into turkey evenly, using a poultry brine injector).
- MIX the 1/4 cup Recipe #422315 in a medium bowl (use seasoning mix only without adding flour).
- REMOVE turkey from brine after marinating; SET turkey again in the large colander in sink; ALLOW turkey to drain in colander; PAT turkey as dry as possible; LOOSEN skin from turkey from the neck end by sliding fingers under the skin to the end of the breast without tearing skin; GENEROUSLY apply the seasoned RUB mixture well under the beast skin, on the outer skin, and in the inner cavities; PLACE seasoned turkey into a roasting pan; COVER; PLACE into refrigerator; ALLOW turkey to absorb seasonings for 8-12 hours.
- REMOVE turkey from refrigerator; UNCOVER turkey; ALLOW to rest at room temperature for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- POUR 4 gallons vegetable oil or peanut oil into 32-quart stainless steel turkey deep frying pot; PLACE pot over a sturdy outdoor propane burner; SLOWLY heat FRYING OIL to 250°F; USE a deep-frying thermometer to moniter heat.
- CAREFULLY and slowly lower the deep-fryng rack with hook containing brined turkey into the preheated frying fat; RAISE the oil temperature to 295°F.
- SET timer for 55 minutes; MAINTAIN oil temperature between 275°F and not over 300°F (check the oil temperature often using a deep-frying thermometer).
- STEADILY pull the hook with rack to lift turkey; TEST the temperature of the turkey in the deepest part of where the thigh and breast meet without touching the bone, using a probe instant-read meat thermometer; CAREFULLY pull turkey from the hot oil when an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast reads at least 165°F, and in the thigh, 180°F; PLACE turkey on a well-placed large cutting board to rest; TENT turkey loosely with foil.
- ALLOW turkey to rest between 20-30 minutes, without piercing or carving turkey in the meantime; CARVE turkey properly for maximum enjoyment; SERVE immediately and enjoy!