1/1 Photo of Kentucky Fried Steak With Cream Gravy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
KENTUCKY FRIED STEAK
- 2 lbs fresh cube steaks
- 16 ground saltine crackers (use food processor)
- 1 1/2 cups pre-sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons seasoning (Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat))
- vegetable oil or pure peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons salted butter (bacon, sausage or pork) or 3 tablespoons fat (bacon, sausage or pork)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (lowfat or nonfat milk okay)
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoning (Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat))
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1NOTE: THIS RECIPE REQUIRES 2 1/2 TABLESPOONS OF MY Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat) FOR THE BREADING, PLUS 1 TEASPOON FOR THE GRAVY. (STEP ONE): GRIND 16 saltine crackers in a food processor until crumbly; ADD 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour and 2 1/2 tablespoons prepared Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat); PULSE mixture until it is coarsely powderized; POUR the mixture into a large resealable container or Ziploc bag.
- 2FILL a large bowl with almost-hot water; SOAK cube steaks in water for a minute or two.
- 3CUT cube steaks into serving-size portions (steaks will shrink, then puff slightly after frying); PLACE 1 cube steak at a time into the breading mixture container; SEAL container firmly; SHAKE container gently in all motions to thoroughly coat steaks until evenly and generously breaded.
- 4PLACE breaded cube steaks on a wire rack; BREAD remaining steaks; ALLOW to rest and absorb the breading for a few minutes before frying.
- 5PREHEAT the manufacturer's recommended amount frying fat in your deep-fryer to 315°F (OR) preheat enough fat to immerse cube steaks completely in deep heavy stovetop pot to 325°F (frying fat will drop to 315 -°F, which you will want to maintain, using a deep-fryer thermometer to gauge).
- 6PREPARE the CREAM GRAVY: Melt 3 tablespoons salted butter or pork fat over medium low heat in a large saucepan, Stir in 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Cook until bubbly but not browned. Warm 2 cups milk in a microwave oven. Whisk constantly while adding warmed milk to butter/flour roux all at once, until smooth. Raise heat to medium-high then add 1 level teaspoon chicken bouillon powder, 3/4 teaspoon Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat), 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, and 1/8 teaspoon paprika. Whisk constantly until mixture begins to bubble. Reduce heat to medium. Cook until completely thickened and flavors develop, whisking often. Adjust seasonings to taste if desired (thin gravy if needed, with a few teaspoons of milk). Reduce heat to lowest setting. Cover gravy loosely and stir occasionally until served.
- 7ADD breaded cube steaks one at a time, carefully with tongs into the deep-frying oil without crowding (if a standard size home fryer is used, add no more than 2-3 pieces at a time).
- 8DEEP-FRY cube steaks about 7 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked, depending on portion/size (when center reaches 145°F when tested with an instant-read thermometer).
- 9PLACE cube steaks onto absorbent paper to drain.
- 10SERVE with the cream gravy and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kentucky Fried Steak With Cream Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.8
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 40.0 mg
- Sodium 393.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 10.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: