Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My recipe for scrumptiously crisp-tender potato cakes made with Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat).
- 1 1⁄3 cups instant potato flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons snipped chives or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried chives
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning (Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat))
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- NOTE: USE "IDAHO SPUDS" BRAND INSTANT MASHED POTATOES FOR BEST RESULTS (THEIR POTATOES HAVE A BETTER TEXTURE AND FRESHER FLAVOR). IF YOU PLAN ON USING ANY OTHER SEASONINGS IN PLACE OF Recipe #453973 -- USE SPARINGLY TO AVOID OVER-SALTING (TASTE THE DRY MIX UNTIL SEASONING IS WELL-BALANCED). FOR LARGER POTATO CAKES, PREPARE 4 PATTIES INSTEAD OF 6. THESE MAY BE SERVED WITH A SMALL DOLLOP OF LIGHT SOUR CREAM.
- INTO a medium mixing bowl, add the potato flakes, baking powder, chives, Recipe #453973, and onion powder; MIX until combined.
- POUR one cup water to a small microwave-safe bowl; ADD the butter and heat in a microwave oven until butter is completely melted, but water is not boiling.
- REMOVE water/butter mixture from microwave and stir in the sour cream.
- WHEN the sour cream is blended in, whisk in the beaten eggs until smooth.
- POUR the water/dairy mixture over the potato mixture in medium bowl.
- STIR mixture with a fork until just blended (do not over-stir!).
- ALLOW mixture to sit for 5 minutes; DIVIDE mixture into 6 equal portions; SHAPE into patties without over-handling or pressing (they don't have to look perfect).
- FRY in a little oil or butter over medium heat until golden brown and crisp on both sides.
- SERVE and enjoy!