My battered onion rings, made with Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat), can be made with panko breadcrumbs or without. Try them with my copycat onion ring dipping sauce, Burger King Zesty Dipping Sauce (Copycat).
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled and sliced into 1/3-1/2 inch rings
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons seasoning (Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat))
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil
- PREHEAT manufacturer's recommended amount of vegetable oil in deep-fryer to 365°F (OR) preheat enough fat to onion rings in a deep heavy stovetop pot to 365°F (use a heat-safe thermometer to gauge).
- PEEL then slice 2 large sweet onions into 1/3-1/2 inch rings (you may use all of onion, or just the larger outer rings).
- INTO a medium bowl add 1 cup self-rising flour, 1 1/2 tablespoons prepared Recipe #453973, 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; MIX ingredients well; WHISK in 1 cup cold water and 1 egg until combined well, without over-mixing.
- ADD 1/3 cup all-purpose flour into a small bowl for the DREDGE; FILL another small bowl with 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (optional) if a panko breading is desired for the final coating.
- TOSS a few onion slices in the flour DREDGE until lightly coated.
- DIP a few floured onions into the BATTER; REMOVE rings one at a time using a fork or skewer, until 3 or four are battered.
- LIGHTLY coat onion rings in panko breadcrumbs, if using, lifting once again onto the fork/skewer.
- TILT battered/breaded onion rings off the skewer, onto the surface of hot oil; SHAKE fryer basket gently to prevent onion rings from sinking and sticking (which they inevitably do sometimes).
- TURN onion rings once, using the skewer, when light golden on the underside; CONTINUE frying just until light golden brown on both sides (don't overcook!); REPEAT with remaining onion rings.
- SEASON with a light sprinkle of salt if desired; SERVE with your favorite condiments and ENJOY!