Recipe by kiddoinky
I have changed my Mother's recipe to suit my tastes as an adult, but this soup brings back great memories of cold rainy nights in Kentucky. My Mom used to make chicken noodle soup for us when it was cold outside. So this is my version! Really you can put anything that you have left over in the fridge and I always make a large batch and freeze it in individual servings. Then when its cold here in Colorado, I just defrost my chicken noodle soup and I have a nice warm comforting bowl full!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced 1/2 inch
- 3 celery ribs, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 15 button mushrooms, washed, and cut into quarters
- 3 (32 ounce) boxes chicken broth
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 ounces fresh basil, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pinch of jalepeno chili pepper flakes or 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 lb farfalle pasta
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large pot.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute or until you smell the garlic.
- Put the carrots, sweet potato, celery, and mushrooms into the dutch oven. Saute for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are cooked, but not mushy.
- Add the chicken broth and if needed enough water to cover the vegetables.
- Stir in chicken, cilantro, fresh thyme, basil, bay leaves, cumin, pepper flakes, pasta, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Turn burner to low and allow to simmer covered for about 20 minutes or until pasta is al dente. (Time to cook pasta may differ depending on where you live.).
- Uncover and continue to cook for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are done to your liking.
- Taste soup for seasoning adjustments.
- Serve in bowls with warm crusty bread!