1 hr 10 mins
I have changed my Mother's recipe to suit my tastes as an adult, but this soup brings back great memories of cold rainy nights in Kentucky. My Mom used to make chicken noodle soup for us when it was cold outside. So this is my version! Really you can put anything that you have left over in the fridge and I always make a large batch and freeze it in individual servings. Then when its cold here in Colorado, I just defrost my chicken noodle soup and I have a nice warm comforting bowl full!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced 1/2 inch
- 3 celery ribs, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 15 button mushrooms, washed, and cut into quarters
- 3 (32 ounce) boxes chicken broth
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 ounces fresh basil, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pinch of jalepeno chili pepper flakes or 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3/4 lb farfalle pasta
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1Heat oil in Dutch oven or large pot.
- 2Add onions and saute until translucent.
- 3Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute or until you smell the garlic.
- 4Put the carrots, sweet potato, celery, and mushrooms into the dutch oven. Saute for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are cooked, but not mushy.
- 5Add the chicken broth and if needed enough water to cover the vegetables.
- 6Stir in chicken, cilantro, fresh thyme, basil, bay leaves, cumin, pepper flakes, pasta, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper.
- 7Bring the soup to a boil. Turn burner to low and allow to simmer covered for about 20 minutes or until pasta is al dente. (Time to cook pasta may differ depending on where you live.).
- 8Uncover and continue to cook for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are done to your liking.
- 9Taste soup for seasoning adjustments.
- 10Serve in bowls with warm crusty bread!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kentucky Farmhouse Chicken Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.7
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 30.9 mg
- Sodium 967.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 19.8 g