Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A secret ingredient, no-bean chili courtesy of the Official Chili Cookbook. Don't worry about the alcohol...it cooks out, leaving only flavor. Cornmeal may be substituted for the corn flour (masa), if unavailable.
- 5 lbs beef chuck, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beef broth
- 6 ounces Bourbon
- 2 (12 ounce) cans beer
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 teaspoons ground coriander
- 10 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 2 (7 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 12 tablespoons cornflour (masa)
- Brown meat, a handful at a time in oil in a large frying pan.
- Transfer to a Dutch oven or stockpot, add bourbon, beer and tomato paste.
- Cover and let simmer 20 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except the corn flour.
- Stir, cover and let simmer for two hours, stirring frequently.
- Combine two cups of the liquid to the corn flour to make a smooth paste.
- Slowly add the paste into the meat mixture to thicken.
- Add additional water if mixture is too thick for your taste.