Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe came from a church cookbook from Harlan, Kentucky. This is a very rich, very easy to make bundt cake.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour cream
For the Butter Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon rum flavoring
- Preheat oven to 325. Spray bottom of 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter; gradually beat in the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the remaining cake ingredients. Blend at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping the bowl occasionally. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the top springs back when lightly touched. While the cake is still hot, prick the top of the cake and pour the butter sauce on top.
- To prepare the Butter Sauce: combine the 1 cup sugar, hot water, and ½ cup butter. Heat in a saucepan or in the microwave until the butter is melted---do not boil. Remove from heat, add rum flavoring, and pour over warm cake.
Easy to make and easy to eat! This is very good and moist. I agree the butter sauce takes it to another level, I'd recommend not skipping this step, so yumo!
This cake is very rich but very moist and good. I don't like things too sweet so I only made half of the butter sauce. It was plenty sweet for my taste. This cake is somewhere between a pound cake and a densed yellow butter cake. I also used sour cream instead of buttermilk because that is all I have. Thank you for the recipe.
I made this today at the restaurant I work for as we put out new Bundt cakes weekly to sell by the slice. This week I chose yours. A wonderful buttery tasting cake that is lovely in appearance also. We didn't have rum extact at the restaurant and since we are a coffee/cafe I used a Torani Syrup that we use in our latte's/smoothies/frozen drinks. Butter Rum was the flavor. Exceptional. Thanks for posting this keeper~