Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from Copy Kat Chat.
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour milk (add 2 tablespoons vinegar to sweet milk and wait till it clabbers)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Grease bundt pan generously and flour lightly.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the 4 eggs and beta well. While beating add the almond extract.
- Add sifted dry ingredients to egg mixture alternately with 2-cup sour milk. Beat well after each addition.
- Pour batter into well-greased and lightly floured bundt pan.
- Bake at 325 for about 1 hour or until cake is a very light golden color on top (sides otherwise get too dark) and the bake springs back to a light touch.
- While cake is baking, make the butter sauce.
- In saucepan melt the butter, sugar, water and almond extract. Stir until a thin syrup.
- While cake is still hot from oven, and still in pan, puncture it with a fork.
- Pour the butter sauce over cake and let it cool for an hour before removing from the pan.
- If it gets too cold it’s harder to remove so do it while cake is still slightly warm.
- Finish cooling on a rack.
I was served this the other evening and have been thinking about it ever since! It is an outstanding cake recipe. Very moist. Lovely with tea. I see it getting rave reviews at parties.