Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This is a cross between a soup and a stew that can be kept in the freezer for several months. Note: The voluminous amount of A-1 sauce and Worcestershire sauces is no mistake. It is recommended to use no less. Simmering Suppers, Harrowsmith.
- 2 lbs pork shank or 2 lbs lean stewing beef
- 2 lbs beef shank or 2 lbs lean stewing beef
- 4 lbs stewing chicken
- 2 lbs veal shanks or 2 lbs lean stewing beef
- 2 lbs lamb breast
- 8 quarts water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 green peppers, cored, seeded and diced
- 2 hot red pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cups diced fresh okra or 2 cups frozen okra
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 bunch carrot, peeled and diced, about 6 carrots
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cups whole kernel corn, fresh, frozen or 2 cups canned corn
- 2 cups fresh lima beans or 2 cups frozen lima beans
- 1 quart tomato puree
- 2 cups A.1. Original Sauce
- 2 cups Worcestershire sauce
- cayenne pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- chopped fresh parsley
- Put all the meat into 8 quarts cold water and bring to boil. Simmer until tender enough to fall from bones, about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Remove meat from stock, cool; bone and chop.
- Return meat to stock and add vegetables, tomato puree, A-1 and Worcestershire sauces. Simmer until all vegetables are done and stew is thick but still not soupy. Stir frequently with a long handled spoon, and adjust seasonings. Cooking will require 6 to 8 hours at a simmer. Garnish with parsley.
- Suggested Accompaniments: Bran Corn Bread and green salad. Kentucky Burgoo is often served in mugs rather than bowls. Yield: 3 gallons.
We have made this meal now three times and find it our favorite of Kentucky Burgoo recipes, This is just slightly different from my mothers recipe