Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my Christmas breakfast casserole. The recipe was given to me by a dear friend who brought it to the office Christmas brunch. Now that we have moved to a different town I make it for my family
- cooking spray
- 6 slice white loaf bread
- 8 eggs
- 158.51 ml evaporated milk
- 314.66 ml milk
- 453.59 g breakfast sausage (hot or mild)
- 850.48 g packagecountry style frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 709.77 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper
- Place thawed hashbrown potatoes between several layers of paper towels and press to absord excess water.
- Lightly spray 9x13 glass casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cube bread in 1/2" cubes and place in even layer in bottom of casserole.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese over bread layer.
- Beat eggs, evaporated milk and milk together, set aside.
- Brown sausage in large deep skillet,crumbling with edge of spatula. Drain fat.
- Place hashbrown potatoes in skillet and stir to mix with sausage until all is warm.
- Spread sausage and hashbrown potato mixture over bread and cheese layer.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 c cheddar cheese.
- Pour egg and milk mixture evenly over entire casserole.
- Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
This is my favorite breakfast casserole ever! I have been looking for this recipe since 1996 when a neighbor brought it over to my mother's house (when she lived near Ashland, KY) one morning. I love that it uses bread AND potatoes - that makes it so much yummier. Thank you.!
Wonderful recipe. This made Christmas morning so much easier for me. Made it the night before and just put it in the oven while opening presents. This recipe is now a family favorite!