Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A great recipe that you can play with. I like to make mine with Fall/winter root vegetables but you can play with that. Not the fastest thing to make, but a wonderful comfort dish when you are having special friends or the family together. Let me know how it worked out for you
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 cup Bourbon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless beef shank
- 2 lbs boneless pork steaks
- salt (my choice is almost always kosher)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 4 cloves peeled garlic
- 1 medium chili pepper, quartered
- water, to cover
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups medium diced carrots
- 1⁄2 lb diced parsnip
- 1⁄2 lb diced turnip
- 1 lb baking potato, peeled and medium diced
- 2 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Take the beef and pork and marinate overnight in the bourbon and garlic turning the meat during the marinate time.
- Reserve the liquid In a heavy stockpot, heat the oil.
- When hot sear the beef and pork in batches until you have a good color on the meat.
- Add the quartered onions, garlic, and pepper.
- Cover with water and reserved marinade.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for about 3 hours.
- Salt and pepper the chicken and add it to the pot during the last hour and a half.
- At the end of the 3 hrs remove the meat and veg from the pot.
- Cool the meat and discard the veg.
- Add the remaining veg and the sugar to the pot of hot liquid.
- Cook for an additional hr.
- When the meat has cooled cube it removing the chicken skin and bones.
- About a 1-inch cube works well.
- Return the meat to the pot and cook for 30 minutes more.
- Correct the seasoning if needed.
- Get a basket of homemade rolls or French bread serve and watch them come back for more.