5 hrs 30 mins
A great recipe that you can play with. I like to make mine with Fall/winter root vegetables but you can play with that. Not the fastest thing to make, but a wonderful comfort dish when you are having special friends or the family together. Let me know how it worked out for you
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 cup Bourbon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless beef shank
- 2 lbs boneless pork steaks
- salt (my choice is almost always kosher)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 4 cloves peeled garlic
- 1 medium chili pepper, quartered
- water, to cover
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups medium diced carrots
- 1/2 lb diced parsnip
- 1/2 lb diced turnip
- 1 lb baking potato, peeled and medium diced
- 2 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1Take the beef and pork and marinate overnight in the bourbon and garlic turning the meat during the marinate time.
- 2Reserve the liquid In a heavy stockpot, heat the oil.
- 3When hot sear the beef and pork in batches until you have a good color on the meat.
- 4Add the quartered onions, garlic, and pepper.
- 5Cover with water and reserved marinade.
- 6Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for about 3 hours.
- 7Salt and pepper the chicken and add it to the pot during the last hour and a half.
- 8At the end of the 3 hrs remove the meat and veg from the pot.
- 9Cool the meat and discard the veg.
- 10Add the remaining veg and the sugar to the pot of hot liquid.
- 11Cook for an additional hr.
- 12When the meat has cooled cube it removing the chicken skin and bones.
- 13About a 1-inch cube works well.
- 14Return the meat to the pot and cook for 30 minutes more.
- 15Correct the seasoning if needed.
- 16Get a basket of homemade rolls or French bread serve and watch them come back for more.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kentucky Bourbon Stew
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 741.8
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 153.5 mg
- Sodium 218.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 17.8 g
- Protein 50.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless beef shank