Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- Pour 2 cups bourbon or whiskey over raisins and cherries.
- Soak in covered container for 48 hours.
- Before mixing in cake, drain well, reserve bourbon.
- Soften butter at room temp.
- cream until light.
- Add sugar,beat until fluffy.
- Beat egg yolks until very light, than add brown sugar.
- Beat well to dissolve sugar.
- In a very large bowl, combine the 2 sugar mixtures blend well.
- Mix nutmeg baking powder with 4-1/2 cups flour.
- Mix other 1/2 cup flour with nuts.
- Add flour mixture alternately with bourbon to sugar,butter, egg mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Add soaked fruit, fold in, then add the nuts fold in.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Fold into batter until evenly distributed.
- Pour in greased 10" tube pan lined with greased brown paper.
- Place a pan of water in bottom of oven.
- Bake 4-5 hours at 275.
- Test with toothpick about 2" from outer edge of cake.
- May take longer than 5 hours.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before turning out.
- When almost cool, sponge sides inside hole heavily with bourbon-saturated cheesecloth.
- Cover cake with this cloth, then in plastic wrap Let set overnight saturate again.
- Recover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Store at least 2 weeks.
This cake is just exquisite...I made it up in three loaf pans and alls I can say is fruitcake don't get much better than this! It was worth every bit of effort and expense. This will be my go-to Christmas Cake from now on. Thanks so much for the recipe!
My husband is the fruit cake lover in the family and he loved this fruit cake. The only change I made in the recipe is I used part candied mixed fruit and part candied red cherries and walnuts rather than pecans. I forgot to satuate the cake again the next day, but didn't seem to make any difference in the taste. This cake was very moist for a fruit cake. Thanks for sharing.