Prep 22 mins
Cook 0 mins
These have always been a hoilday favorite; any kind of holiday! I used to make these with Rum but have now switched to using Bourbon. I have had this recipe for eons and I don't know from whence it came. These can also be frozen &/or refrigerated.Have updated 12/12/2008: changed the amount of Bourbon balls to a count of 20 to 30.
- 1 cup yellow cake crumbs or 1 cup vanilla wafer
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup good unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or 1⁄8 cup powdered sugar
- Place the cake crumbs or cookie crumbs into a plastic bag and smoosh them.
- Combine the cake crumbs or cookie crumbs, sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, corn syrup & Bourbon.
- Blend and mix very well.
- Fold in the pecans.
- Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls.
- If mixture is not rolling together easily, add more corn syrup.
- Roll the balls in the cocoa powder or the powdered sugar to coat them.
- Store in an airtight container and refrigerate.
What a recipe! I used the Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa for the first time and it was WONDERFUL! I even got into them the first night and they were fantastic! Thanks for sharing this recipe! What a great HOLIDAY surprise for SANTA!
As I was mixing these up I kept getting a huge wif of bourbon. I was thinking okay I can drink a LITTLE bourbon but this is going to be way to strong for me. But then I tried one. That first taste was wow! Then it got smoother and better and smoother and better. After that I could have rolled one, eaten one, rolled one, eaten one...Very good! These are for Thanksgiving but I don't know if they are going to last that long.
I had cake to use up so this was perfect for me - mixture came together wonderfully as did taste !! Made for Cookbook Tag.