Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Got this recipe from a Louisville morning show showcasing Churchill Downs Chef Gil Logan. I passed the recipe on to Alan (my best friend from college) and he and I made them one night. I couldn't have whiskey or beer in the dorm, so I got everything else. They are good, but very strong at first. We used Sweet Baby Ray's and Tabasco for the hot sauce, Jim Beam and Budweiser for the booze. These are commonly used as appetizers, but we served them with rice and a broccoli casserole.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large vidalia onion
- 1⁄4 cup whiskey or 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles beer
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- Dice and sauté the onion in oil until brown.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and deglaze with bourbon and set aside to cool.
- Combine all (except beer) ingredients in a bowl & mix by hand. Form into 1 inch balls.
- In a large pot, place the beer and bring to a boil. Add the meatballs. Boil until they are floating.
- Finish in oven at 425 degrees until brown.
- Serve with more BBQ sauce for dipping if desired.
We liked it... the sauce and flavour are good, and it was very easy to make. The one and only thing holding it back was that we found that the meatballs are very soft in texture. Next time I will add less egg, for us at least that would be better. Dearest Amy, I miss you.. but I bet that even a 5 star rating can't compare to where you are now. I will be sure to make more of your recipes and remember you fondly with each and every one. R.I.P my friend.