Recipe by KathyP53
These are a Kentucky Derby tradition. Great to serve at a K.D. party! This version is from Paula Deen with a few changes of my own.
Top Review by Sharlene~W
I haven't made this yet, but just wanted to mention the difference between this recipe and the original Paula Deen version is step #2 where Kathy suggests sprinkling salt over cucumber and draining off excess liquid. This sounds like a great idea as the liquid from the cucumber would tend to make the sandwich a bit soggy otherwise.
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 1 loaf thinly sliced white bread (like Pepperidge Farm)
- parsley (to garnish) or watercress (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel cucumber and slice in half lengthwise. Remove seeds with a small spoon. Place cucumber in a food processor and pulse 5 times, until minced.
- Place minced cucumber in small colander over glass bowl. Sprinkle with salt, toss, and allow to drain over bowl for one hour. Spread drained cucumber on dinner plate and pat with paper towel to remove excess moisture. Place cucumber in small glass bowl.
- Add onion and cream cheese to cucumber and stir well with spatula. Add hot sauce, food coloring. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Cut rounds out of bread slices with cookie or biscuit cutter. Spread small amount of mayonnaise on bread rounds. Spread cucumber mixture on half of rounds and top with another round. Garnish with sprig of parsley or watercress. Store covered in refrigerator. Serve chilled.