Recipe by tilthouse
I grew up in central Kentucky and now hold a Kentucky Derby party out here in California every year now. It was approaching and I was jonesin for Hall's Beer Cheese. This was the recipe I settled on...
Top Review by okeedokee
This is the real deal for Kentucky Beer Cheese. Some like a teaspoon of worchestershire and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Heat it up to your personal taste. Hall's has (had? are they still there?) fabulous beer cheese. If anyone lived in Lexington in 70's and remembers Shopper's Choice beer cheese.... a little extra Tobasco and some cayenne added to Tilthouse's recipe replicates Shopper's Choice. I actually like's Shopper Choice better than Hall's....but this is a great recipe for the basics.
- 20 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 7 ounces bottled dark beer, flat
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Tabasco sauce
- mustard powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Open beer and bring to room temperature It is desirable to get most of the gas out of the beer, but don't let it get stale. You can heat it in the microwave a bit if you are in a hurry, but don't boil it.
- Grate cheese and garlic in a food processor.
- Switch to the mixing blade and add remaining ingredients, mixing until thoroughly blended.
- Refridgerate overnight. This really helps the flavors develop and meld properly.