Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This one is from my home state of Kentucky.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup peeled chopped apple
- extra cinnamon, for topping
- extra sugar, for topping
- Cream shortening and sugar until light.
- Add egg and milk.
- Sift cinnamon, flour, salt, baking powder and soda into liquid mixture and add apples before stirring.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Pour into greased 9x5-inch pan.
- Sprinkle top with one part cinnamon to 3 parts sugar.
- Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes.
This was a nice quick bread. I found the bread moist and yummy. I did find the top caved in, but that may have been my fault. The cinnamon sugar on top was a nice touch--I probably used 1/2 tsp. cinnamon to 1 1/2 tsp. sugar for the topping. Good basic apple bread!
This was really easy to do. I used Granny Smith's, as they were what was in my fridge. It had a nice cinnamony flavor, not too overpowering. My husband REALLY liked it. My only complaint with this bread (and that's why only 4 stars instead of 5) was that it was pretty dry; every time I cut a slice, it fell apart. I did follow the recipe exactly. Maybe it needs more shortening? Or maybe could add some applesauce also to help moisten it up some? Anyhow, it was otherwise really tasty!