Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Ken's White Chili
- 1 lb great northern bean
- 5 (3 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (7 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Soak beans overnight.
- Combine beans, chicken broth, onions and garlic in large pot.
- Cook (boil, then simmer) for 1 to 2 hours until beans are done. (Do not stir too much or the beans will fall apart).
- When beans are done, add chicken, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, lemon juice, and chilies.
- Simmer for approximately 1 hour.
- Add grated cheese last. Simmer until cheese is melted; stir or cheese will sink to the bottom and scorch.
- Cooking times are approximate. Basically cook until the beans are done and spices have "soaked in" then cook until cheese melts.
- Sometimes not all of the chicken broth is necessary.
- You don't want it too soupy, so I usually add about 4 cans of chicken broth and add the last can as needed.
- This will make a large pot.
- Serve with a salad and garlic bread and enjoy!
I used canned beans and added a little flour to thicken it and it turned out great!!!
XLNT....made according to the recipe and will make it again....lots of raves over it.
I enjoyed this chili. It was really good with tortilla chips. I think next time I will make it a little spicier.