Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Ken made this killer Tortilla Soup for an office potluck. Nice spice and rich flavor.
- 8 corn tortillas
- 6 boneless chicken breasts (about 24 oz.)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, pressed (to Taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies, undrained
- 8 teaspoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 1 (14 ounce) jarsliced jalapenos, undrained (to Taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices fresh limes, sliced thickly (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 deg. Cut tortillas into 1/2 inch strips. Place on cookie sheet and bake 7-8 minutes or until crisp (Salt if desired).
- Snip cilantro into small pieces and set aside.
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inches pieces.
- Heat olive oil in pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cook and stir 3 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes, chilis, and jalapenos. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Place tortilla into bowls, Ladle soup over tortillas and top with cheese and cilantro. If desired garnish bowl with lime slice to squeeze into soup.