1/6 Photos of Ken's Beer Batter Fried Catfish
DH loves to fish, and when he brings home a "catch", this is the first recipe we go to, of coarse I have to quick grab the 1/2 cup of beer before he gets to it. You can add or delete the seasonings as your taste sees fit,Soaking in buttermilk, is the key to kicking the "fishy" taste, but this is an optional step. The original recipe comes from Ryan Newman. Prep time does not include chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup beer (room temperature)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano (dried-optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2In a medium bowl, combine flour,cornstarch & your choice of seasonings,baking powder,salt and pepper, whisk in beer & egg until smooth, cover & refrigerate 1-2 hours.
- 4Soak fillets in 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/3 cup buttermilk or milk (optional step).
- 6When ready to cook, in a deep skillet, heat oil (about 3" deep) to 375 degrees.
- 7Allow fillets to drip dry then lightly dab them with a paper towel to insure they are not wet, dip fillets in batter, lift strips with tongs, draining excess batter, then place catfish in oil several pieces at a time (do not over crowd fillets).
- 8Fry until well browned on all sides (about 3 min.), remove and drain on paper towels.
Browse Our Top Catfish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Catfish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ken's Beer Batter Fried Catfish
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 166.6
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 78.4 mg
- Sodium 578.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 11.8 g