This is a GREAT appetizer for your next Halloween Party! If you don't have a brain mold, you can substitute by lining a med. size round bowl with saran wrap and making your mold. Once the mold is set, you can take the round end of a knife or a pencil eraser and create your crevices and creases to make your brain, as in the picture I have posted. Takes a little more time, but works well. When done designing your brain, peel off the saran wrap, and plate to serve along with your crackers, chips etc.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin, softened in 1/4 cup water
- 1 bunch green onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb crabmeat (or 3 lbs. cooked shrimp, coarsely chopped) or 1 lb lobster, shredded (or 3 lbs. cooked shrimp, coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Tabasco sauce or creole seasoning, to taste
- Heat soup, undiluted, and mix in the cream cheese.
- Stir in softened gelatin, and blend well.
- Fold in remaining ingredients, and pour into a lightly-oiled brain mold. (I pour some oil in and swirl it around, then pour out excess).
- Chill until firm, and serve with your favorite crackers, pita or bagel chips or scoops.
This was a HUGE hit at my Halloween party - I will make it for every party (minus the brain mold!) I used 4 Tbspns of Tabasco for plenty of kick, and used lobster-flavored surimi to keep costs down.
I made mine in a bowl with saran wrap on the bottom. I flipped it over and out of the bowl and shaped it to look like a brain by using a pencil to make it look real. Everyone reached for some and before I knew it the brain was gone! Good thing I got some before it was all gone!
Another great Halloween recipe from LBK! You must love Halloween as much as I do. My guests went nuts for this! I served with wheat thins and whole wheat crackers. Very good!