Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tina Verrelli of Devon, Pennsylvania, won the 2012 Kennett Square Mushroom Festival recipe contest with this entry, published in May/June 2013 "AAA World". Save 9/07/13 & 9/08/13 for this year's Mushroom Festival in the Mushroom Capital of the World. (I haven't made this yet, but I am posting it for safe-keeping for fellow mushroom lovers.)
MUSHROOM SOUP BASE
- 20 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced and chopped in small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely grated
- 1 cup bok choy, finely chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 8 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄3 lb ground pork
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onion, finely chopped
- 18 wonton wrappers
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup water, for dampening edges of pot sticker wraps
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup water
FOR THE POT
- 1 cup bok choy, chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- green onion, coarsely chopped (optional)
- cilantro, chopped (optional)
- MUSHROOM SOUP BASE:.
- Chop sliced Shiitake mushrooms into small pieces. Heat canola oil over medium heat in a 4-quart pan. Add sesame oil, garlic, ginger and bok choy stems.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of cooked mushroom mixture, and reserve for later.
- Add chicken broth. Adjust heat to maintain low simmer, and cover.
- POT STICKERS:.
- In a medium bowl, combine pork and reserved 1 cup of cooked mushroom mixture. Mix in garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Mix in cilantro and green onion. Mix until well combined.
- Spoon about 2 teaspoons of pork-mushroom filling into center of pot sticker wrapper. Use some chicken broth or water to dampen around the edge of the wrapper. With fingers, press the 2 sides of the wrapper together to form a semicircle shape. Gently press the bottom of the pot sticker on a flat surface to form flattened bottom. Repeat to form 18 pot stickers.
- Heat canola oil over medium heat in large (12-inch or larger) nonstick skillet. Place pot stickers seam side up in skillet, and cook over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth or water, and cover pan with lid. Reduce heat and allow to steam for 5 minutes.
- LAST TOUCH:.
- Stir into the soup: bok choy, cilantro and green onion ("For the Pot").
- Arrange 3 pot stickers in each bowl. Ladle soup over pot stickers. If desired, garnish with additional green onions and cilantro.
Tasty soup! It was pretty involved, but I knew that getting into it. I made a half batch, since it will just be me eating this. The broth was nice - full of mushrooms and bok choy, but I loved the potstickers the best. Yummy!!! In fact, I may just make the potsickers and fry them up without the whole soup next time. I toyed with giving this recipe 4 or 5 stars, but those potstickers tipped it to 5. Thanks for posting! Made for Culinary Quest - China - International Agents of Quest team.