Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tina Verrelli of Devon, Pennsylvania, won the 2012 Kennett Square Mushroom Festival recipe contest with this entry, published in May/June 2013 "AAA World". Save 9/07/13 & 9/08/13 for this year's Mushroom Festival in the Mushroom Capital of the World. (I haven't made this yet, but I am posting it for safe-keeping for fellow mushroom lovers.)
MUSHROOM SOUP BASE
- 20 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced and chopped in small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely grated
- 1 cup bok choy, finely chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 8 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄3 lb ground pork
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onion, finely chopped
- 18 wonton wrappers
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup water, for dampening edges of pot sticker wraps
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup water
FOR THE POT
- 1 cup bok choy, chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- green onion, coarsely chopped (optional)
- cilantro, chopped (optional)
- MUSHROOM SOUP BASE:.
- Chop sliced Shiitake mushrooms into small pieces. Heat canola oil over medium heat in a 4-quart pan. Add sesame oil, garlic, ginger and bok choy stems.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of cooked mushroom mixture, and reserve for later.
- Add chicken broth. Adjust heat to maintain low simmer, and cover.
- POT STICKERS:.
- In a medium bowl, combine pork and reserved 1 cup of cooked mushroom mixture. Mix in garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Mix in cilantro and green onion. Mix until well combined.
- Spoon about 2 teaspoons of pork-mushroom filling into center of pot sticker wrapper. Use some chicken broth or water to dampen around the edge of the wrapper. With fingers, press the 2 sides of the wrapper together to form a semicircle shape. Gently press the bottom of the pot sticker on a flat surface to form flattened bottom. Repeat to form 18 pot stickers.
- Heat canola oil over medium heat in large (12-inch or larger) nonstick skillet. Place pot stickers seam side up in skillet, and cook over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth or water, and cover pan with lid. Reduce heat and allow to steam for 5 minutes.
- LAST TOUCH:.
- Stir into the soup: bok choy, cilantro and green onion ("For the Pot").
- Arrange 3 pot stickers in each bowl. Ladle soup over pot stickers. If desired, garnish with additional green onions and cilantro.
Tasty soup! It was pretty involved, but I knew that getting into it. I made a half batch, since it will just be me eating this. The broth was nice - full of mushrooms and bok choy, but I loved the potstickers the best. Yummy!!! In fact, I may just make the potsickers and fry them up without the whole soup next time. I toyed with giving this recipe 4 or 5 stars, but those potstickers tipped it to 5. Thanks for posting! Made for Culinary Quest - China - International Agents of Quest team.