Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
We use to live near the mushroom capital of the world, Kennett Square, PA and this is my favorite mushroom soup recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 -5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half cream
- In a 2 quart saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually stir in broth until smooth. Add salt, pepper and bay leaves.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute the celery and onion in oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender.
- Add veggies to broth mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cream and heat through. Discard bay leaves and serve.
This was such an easy soup to prepare. I used a total of 1 lb. of mushrooms. I skipped the oil to fry the mushrooms in, and used a little chicken broth in its place. I also used skim milk in place of the cream. I found this to still be a great soup despite the lower fat level. Thanks for the recipe.
Delicious! Made as instructed, but served with a swirl of cream instead of heating it in. I figured I could re-heat more easily that way. Pretty, too!
I got a large package of mushrooms on the reduced produce table for next to nothing, and mushroom soup sounded like a good bet. This was one of several recipes I had saved to try. I simplified the recipe by sauteeing the mushrooms in the melted butter with the onions, then sprinkling with the flour, stirring until it was all incorporated, and then slowly adding the chicken broth - eliminated the oil and one pan. I did need to end a bit more broth along with the cream to get a soupier consistency, oh, and used 1/2 tsp of thyme instead of celery, as I had none. Mr Grumpy and I polished off the entire batch with great pleasure.