Recipe by Irish Rose
We use to live near the mushroom capital of the world, Kennett Square, PA and this is my favorite mushroom soup recipe.
Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
This was such an easy soup to prepare. I used a total of 1 lb. of mushrooms. I skipped the oil to fry the mushrooms in, and used a little chicken broth in its place. I also used skim milk in place of the cream. I found this to still be a great soup despite the lower fat level. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 -5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2 quart saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually stir in broth until smooth. Add salt, pepper and bay leaves.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute the celery and onion in oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender.
- Add veggies to broth mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cream and heat through. Discard bay leaves and serve.