Prep 8 hrs
Cook 30 mins
A pioneer recipe originating from the great state of Maine. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. While this recipe is written in an old-fashioned way, it is perfectly safe if processed using modern methods. If you are unfamiliar with these modern methods, please go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html for the current information.
- 2 lbs green tomatoes
- 2 lbs tomatoes
- 2 lbs cabbage (a small head)
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded
- 3⁄4 quart onion, peeled
- 1 bunch celery
- 6 tablespoons salt
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard (Coleman's preferred)
- Mince vegetables finely; add salt and let stand overnight.
- Drain; add vinegar and brown sugar.
- Tie cinnamon,cloves and mustard in a small cheesecloth bag.
- Boil everything together for about 30 minutes.
- Remove spice bag, pour into sterilized jars and seal.