Entered for safe-keeping, adapted from Gourmet Executive Food Editor Kemp Minifie in April 2007 Gourmet. Kemp Minifie claims that the vegetarian "holy trinity" of flavor is sherry, soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. Beans improve in flavor if cooked at least 8 hours ahead. Chill, uncovered until completely cooled, then chill covered up to 1 week, or freeze up to 3 months. Beans thicken a lot as they stand, so thin with water when reheating over moderately low heat. Because these beans are best cooled so they thicken as they stand, some people make a big pot on the stove and designate it for other recipes. So I am giving both the Pressure Cooker directions and the non-pressure directions. The Pressure Cooker takes 1/3 the time. The preparation time does not include chilling time; the cooking time is for the pressure cooker.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried black beans, picked over and rinsed but not soaked (about 2 1/3 cups)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (110g)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
ADD WHEN REHEATING
- 1PRESSURE COOKER.
- 2In a 6- to 8-quart pressure cooker, combine beans, onion, oil, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 3Seal pressure cooker with lid and cook at high pressure, according to manufacturer's directions, until beans are tender, 30-45 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat. Use quick release method favored by your manufacturer; Kemp says to put the pressure cooker in the sink (with lid still attached) and run cold water over the lid until pressure goes down completely. (Don't try the cold water method with an electric pressure cooker!)
- 5Chill uncovered until completely cooled, then chill, covered, up to 1 week or freeze up to 3 months.
- 6NON-PRESSURE COOKING METHOD.
- 7In a 6- to 8-quart heavy pot, bring black beans, onion, oil, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until beans are tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours (depending on age of beans).
- 8Chill uncovered until completely cooled, then chill, covered, up to 1 week or freeze up to 3 months.
- 10When reheating the beans later, stir in Sherry, 1 teaspoon salt, then soy sauce and vinegar to taste (start with 1 tablespoon each). Thin with water if necessary. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kemp's Vegetarian Black Beans - 6-Qt Pressure Cooker
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 129.7
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 286.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 6.3 g