Recipe by Dirana1
This was created 31 Oct 2005 in preparation for my 12 yr old and her friends spending a great spooky evening at my house. Something warm and filling, and somewhat good for them before treat bags were opened. Enjoy!
Top Review by DarkCloudChef
Okay, I'm biased; I created this recipe, and to date, sixteen people I know have gotten the recipe and loved it. This year, I braised the meat in red wine and irish whiskey. It made a big difference and tenderized the meat greatly. I just want everyone to enjoy. I tweek everything, even my own recipes. I'm DarkCloudChef now.
- 2 sirloin steaks, cut into 3/4 inch cubes (three packages of stewing beef can be substituted)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes with basil and garlic
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 12 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb baby carrots, chunked
- 3 stalks celery, chunked
- 4 garlic cloves, medium chopped
- 1 large Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chunked
- 1 large orange bell pepper, seeded and chunked
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1⁄4 cup oregano flakes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 -6 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil with a generous dash of sea salt until golden; remove from dish.
- In same pan, sear meat with small dash of sea salt and a pinch of pepper and a generous dash each of LHS and Worcestershire Sauce.
- In a very large stock pot, combine all ingredients and fill with water to 1 1/2 to 2 inches from top rim. Cover with lid.
- Cook over medium high heat, to boiling point. Reduce heat to low and simmer until carrots and potatoes are cooked thoroughly, stirring often, about two (2) hours. Skim as you see fit.
- Serve with rolls, crackers and butter.
- Since this is a Halloween dish, I serve this out of a cauldron with 'spooky' breads and butter.
- To make a hearty Fall Vegetable Stew, add three (3) cups of shredded cabbage to the dish.