1/6 Photos of Kelly's Southwestern Beef Stew
1 hr 20 mins
Thick, rich and hearty beef stew that is anything BUT bland, if you know what I mean! It took me several years to perfect this recipe, and I'm proud to say that it was recently published in Taste of Home magazine! I'm a Midwest meat and potatoes kind of girl, and always liked beef stew, but it was always just "ok". Even people that say they don't care for spicy foods really liked it! Hope you try it! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2-3 lbs chuck roast (trim fat as necessary) or 2 1/2-3 lbs arm roast, cubed (trim fat as necessary)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons Butter Flavor Crisco
- 2 onions, diced large
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, can sub 1/4 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional, but we like it in there) (optional)
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced thick
- 4 -5 medium red potatoes, unpeeled, cut lg. bite-sized
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon cold water (optional)
- 1In large ziplock baggie or large mixing bowl, combine flour, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder and salt.
- 2Add meat and shake/toss til all is coated.
- 3In large heavy-bottomed pot that has a lid, brown meat over med-high heat in the 4 tbsp Crisco.
- 4Add next 8 ingredients, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring only occasionally, til meat is tender.
- 5Add carrots and potatoes, recover and simmer another 25-30 minutes or til tender.
- 6Add corn, heat through.
- 7Remove bay leaf, or, leave it in there and whoever happens to get it has to do the dishes! ;).
- 8*Can add or sub peas and/or green beans if desired. You can also add 1 rib of celery, sliced, at the same time you add the potatoes and carrots if desired.
- 9**If you like it on the thick side like we do, just mix 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch with equal amount of cold water (I use 2 tbsp each), stir into pot while simmering to thicken even more. Simmer, stirring, for several minutes. Do this at the very end. Stir gently so you don't wreck the green beans if added.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kelly's Southwestern Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (508 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.3
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 100.9 mg
- Sodium 1151.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 35.8 g