Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
An English Shepherds Pie recipe with extra flavor. This is great served with broccoli and gravy.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 6 cups water
- 4 -5 large potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 2 carrots
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 1 Oxo beef cubes or 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and brown the beef with half the onion on medium-high heat.
- Add herbs and Worcestershire sauce and stir for a few minutes.
- Add water, Oxo/beef bouillon cube, ½ the salt and pepper and bring to boil (stir to break up beef).
- Add carrots, and remaining onion.
- Cook on medium-high until vegetables are properly cooked.
- Drain in colander and place meat in buttered ovenproof casserole dish about 9 inches square.
- (MASHED POTATOES).
- Boil potatoes over high heat until soft; drain.
- Add butter, remaining salt and pepper and gradually add milk while mashing potatoes with a hand masher (consistency should be firm; add milk, as necessary, but try not to make the potatoes too runny).
- Let cool for a few minutes before evenly spreading on top of beef.
- Score topping using the prongs of fork.
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.