Recipe by Wildflour
I'm posting this by request, because I hate paying high prices for pizza, too! No cheese, no sauce, barely any toppings...and SHEESH! the price! Maybe if we go back to making our own, some of these..(am I allowed to say crappy??) pizza places will either go out of business or make them better!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (I like mine garlicy)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder (optional if you don't like a slight onion flavor)
- oregano, thyme and italian seasoning (adds a lot of flavor!) (optional)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candel monte Italian-style stewed tomatoes, cut up a little with the juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can Italian-style tomato paste (Contadina)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup warm water, stir to dissolve, stir in 1 teaspoons sugar to "proof", let set a few minutes.
- Add remaining water and oil.
- With large spoon, beat in 1 1/2 cups flour til smooth, continue beating for 2 minutes.
- Add rest of spices and herbs, stir well,.
- add rest of flour to make a stiff dough. Don't add last 1/4 cup if not needed.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board, knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-8 minutes forming a ball.
- Place in oiled bowl, turning dough all around til all sides are oiled.
- Cover, let rise in warm place til doubled, about 1 hour. Sometimes this takes an hour and a half.
- Punch down dough, divide in half.
- Press onto 2 lightly oiled, then lightly sprinkled with corn meal, pizza pans making 1/2" high borders on each all the way around.
- Spread half of*Kelly's pizza sauce” on each, top with toppings of your choice, then a few slices of provolone, if desired, and then shredded mozzarella, about a 1/2 lb.
- ,on each pizza.
- Sprinkle lightly with parmesan.
- Then sprinkle with dried parsley.
- Bake in pre-heated 400º oven for 25-35 minutes, depending on how well done you like your pizza.