Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I'm posting this by request, because I hate paying high prices for pizza, too! No cheese, no sauce, barely any toppings...and SHEESH! the price! Maybe if we go back to making our own, some of these..(am I allowed to say crappy??) pizza places will either go out of business or make them better!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (I like mine garlicy)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder (optional if you don't like a slight onion flavor)
- oregano, thyme and italian seasoning (adds a lot of flavor!) (optional)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candel monte Italian-style stewed tomatoes, cut up a little with the juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can Italian-style tomato paste (Contadina)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup warm water, stir to dissolve, stir in 1 teaspoons sugar to "proof", let set a few minutes.
- Add remaining water and oil.
- With large spoon, beat in 1 1/2 cups flour til smooth, continue beating for 2 minutes.
- Add rest of spices and herbs, stir well,.
- add rest of flour to make a stiff dough. Don't add last 1/4 cup if not needed.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board, knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-8 minutes forming a ball.
- Place in oiled bowl, turning dough all around til all sides are oiled.
- Cover, let rise in warm place til doubled, about 1 hour. Sometimes this takes an hour and a half.
- Punch down dough, divide in half.
- Press onto 2 lightly oiled, then lightly sprinkled with corn meal, pizza pans making 1/2" high borders on each all the way around.
- Spread half of*Kelly's pizza sauce” on each, top with toppings of your choice, then a few slices of provolone, if desired, and then shredded mozzarella, about a 1/2 lb.
- ,on each pizza.
- Sprinkle lightly with parmesan.
- Then sprinkle with dried parsley.
- Bake in pre-heated 400º oven for 25-35 minutes, depending on how well done you like your pizza.
dough is excellent, thank you very much! last time we ordered pizza out it was nasty. i'd much rather make my own.
This is the best home made pizza recipe I've ever tried! We may never order out again!!! Nice crispy on the bottom crust, which you really can make as thin or thick as you want and is very flavorful. The taste of the sauce went well with the crust, and we enjoyed the chunks of tomato. We added hot italian sausage to ours. I was really amazed by this recipe, and I've tried many pizza dough, pizza sauce, and pizza recipes! My search is over! This one is excellent! Thank you for posting!!!
Well, I admit it; I lazily used jar sauce, but WOW! The crust was wonderful! My hubby is extremely picky about his crust, and he LOVED this! Thanks so much for a great recipe! (And I WILL use your sauce recipe next time around! :)