Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I think the secret is the egg yolks, it just isn't the same richness without them. This is my basic, stand-by all-purpose recipe. I use it a LOT!
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- In frying pan or large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour, cook and stir constantly over lower heat for 2-3 minutes. DO NOT BROWN.
- Slowly whisk in 3 cups of milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat til thick and low-boiling.
- Low-boil, stirring, for 3-5 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix egg yolks.
- Add, stirring, 2 Tbl. cooked sauce, ONE TBL. AT A TIME, into beaten yolks. Add a bit more sauce, stirring, then slowly whisk into skillet of sauce.
- Whisk in salt and pepper, remove from heat.
Apart from making this in the microwave & using a stick blender, oh and I did add a pinch of nutmeg at the end, everything else I followed exactly. AND what a a wonderful bechamel sauce!!!!! You are right Wildflour, this is a lovely rich sauce! Except for the egg yolks added in this recipe its exactly the same sauce as I usualy make, (although I add nutmeg) and I found it just the right hint of sweetness....if that makes sense, and so much richer and creamier to the normal bechamel sauce. I used the sauce to make lasagne (a recipe I have never ventured to change in 15 years of making ;-) and I am so glad I did. This sauce is wonderful its so easy, and the final outcome is superb! So glad I found this recipe! Thank you so much Wildflour, this is my new bechamel sauce for the next 15 years! ;-)
Wonderful Bechamel sauce! Made it in my Tefal Cook & Stir kitchen gadget. Perfecto! Thanks, Wildflour! Made for Beverage Tag.