1/12 Photos of Kelly's Midwest " Cold Remedy" Pot Roast
3 hrs 5 mins
Searching for that "Grandma's house smells so good" pot roast dinner? Got it right here! Have perfected it, and MAN! (Actually worked on this recipe for several years now, don't be fooled by the mustard and horseradish, the flavors mellow as it cooks, and tastes like you literally stepped back in time...so hope you try this, it's wonderful, and a keeper...:)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2-4 lbs beef arm roast or 3 1/2-4 lbs chuck roast or 3 1/2-4 lbs blade roast
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup prepared horseradish (not the cream added kind, the "real-deal"!!)
- 1/4 cup prepared whole grain mustard (use your favorite!) or 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard (use your favorite!) or 1/4 cup Dijon mustard (use your favorite!)
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth, 2 if your roast is 4 lbs. (or more)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 8 red potatoes, unpeeled, quartered
- 8 carrots, peeled, cut into thick slices (can ease this step with baby carrots!)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1Sprinkle one side of roast with half of salt and pepper and place, that side down, into large frying pan of HOT oil (to sear and brown).
- 2Season other side while bottom side is browning.
- 3When browned, turn over, brown other side.
- 4Turn off heat.
- 5In large deep casserole dish with lid, pour in beef broth, add half of onion.
- 6Spread top side of roast with half of horseradish and mustard, and place, that side down, into prepared casserole dish.
- 7Then spread top side with rest of horseradish and mustard.
- 8Cover with rest of onion.
- 9Dot with butter.
- 10Cover and bake in 325°F oven for 2 1/2 hours, turning meat over and retopping with some of the onion, every 45 minutes.
- 11Add carrots and potatoes, recover, and bake 1 hour longer basting vegetables with the broth every 15-20 minutes.
- 12Place meat and vegetables onto large serving platter.
- 13Serve with broth, warm, crusty french bread and butter, or *gravy if desired.
- 14*For gravy: Skim some of the fat off broth, and pour into heat-proof measuring cup adding enough water to measure 2 cups (if even needed).
- 15Pour into frying pan.
- 16Shake a half a cup of cold water with a 1/4 cup flour in tightly covered container, and slowly stir into broth.
- 17Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- 18Boil and stir 1-2 minutes.
- 19***If you want lots of gravy, use the 32 oz. box of beef broth and thicken with 3-4 Tbl. cornstarch mixed with 3-4 Tbl. cold water. (Cook meat and vegetables with all the broth, thicken at the end).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kelly's Midwest " Cold Remedy" Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (495 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.0
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 969.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: