Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my very own recipe that I have won 3 chili cook-offs with! PERFECT for the Super Bowl coming up!!!!
Saute drain grease
- 3 lbs hamburger
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 -4 fresh jalapenos, chopped small
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
dump into large pot crockpot and add
- 1⁄3 cup good chili powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups ketchup (I like Hunt's)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, can sub lemon jc. (I just use the concentrates)
- 4 -6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin
- 3 cups spicy hot V8
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (8 ounce) packagesfresh sliced mushrooms, can sub jarred
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candel monte original stewed tomatoes, with the juice and break up tomatoes
- 1 cup beef bouillon (optional)
- extra salt and pepper
- more garlic powder
- Stir and bring just to a low simmer, reduce heat and cook for at least 1-2 hours in a crockpot Thick, rich and slightly sweet/slightly hot, very unique!
This was a little too sweet for my tastes. I think next time I'll decrease the amount of sugar and up the chili powder. I liked the mushrooms in it and the peppers and V8 added some nice flavor.
Oh I just loved it! I had Venison that I ground up and added to this along with some ground pork. Sweet and spicy!! I just love Crock pot meals!
Made this last night for 6 people.
This went over well and I actually used 2 pkgs of Yves Ground Round to make it Vegetarian and no one noticed. This is a very sweet recipe, I used 4 tbsp of brown sugar but it could have used less. Plus I only used 2 jalapeno peppers, non spicy V8 and no Cumin and a little over half of the chili powder and it still had a zing to it. So if you do not like spice, go with less of everything.
Plus, there just seemed to be not enough beans for such a large amount (this makes a very big batch of chili), so I added another 2 cans of beans but then there was too much for the slow cooker, so I transferred it all into a large pot and cooked it on the stove top for a couple of hours.
It came out thick and tasty, I will definitely make this again.