Recipe by KellyinNC
I came up with this recipe when I planted way too many tomato plants one year. I usually serve it in the pan it was baked in with some toasted bread on the side so the toasts don't get mushy and eveyone can serve themselves. You can also serve it over your favorite pasta. Enjoy!!
- 8 -10 firm ripe tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt (I use sea salt)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a large glass casserole dish with basil leaves. All over the bottom and up sides if possible. This will be the "bed" for the tomatoes.
- Blanch and peel tomatoes. You can do this by coring them and placing them in a kettle of boiling water until skins start to peel away (usually about 3-5 minutes). Immediately put them into an ice water bath. You should be able to peel skins away easily. Cut into a large sized dice. Put them on the basil leaves.
- Pour extra virgin olive oil on the tomatoes. It sould come up about half way. Do not go over half way as the tomatoes will release juice when baked.
- Sprinkle oregano, salt, pepper, and cheese on top.
- Place in oven for 50 minutes.