Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Don't be put off by the ingredient list. This really is an easy dish (particularly for those with crockpots) which you can freely substitute on with whatever you have on hand. (Made all the more tasty if you add 1/2 cup of Bisto gravy granuals along with the Oxo.)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef (add more if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 large cubed potatoes
- 3 oxo beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 (8 ounce) can green beans
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch spring onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon rosemary
- Dredge stew beef in flour, salt and pepper (ideally use ziplog bag and shake).
- Heat oil in large pan, add meat and a handful of the onions.
- Whilst meat is browning, add lime juice and stir.
- When brown all over (about ten mins) add enough water to cover and stir.
- Bring to boil.
- Add the Oxo/beef bouillon cubes, Worcestershire sauce, all veggies (excluding carrots, corn, green beans and potatoes) and Lipton onion soup and dip mix.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hr and 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots and tomato puree and continue the simmer a further 40 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp of flour, mix and let sit for a few minutes to thicken if needed.
- If not to desired thickness add more flour.
- Once thickened, return to heat and add green beans.
- Heat through and serve (good with biscuits!).
This is a very good beef stew recipe. I used venison, but same basic taste. I had never dredged and browned the meat before. This step made a wonderful texture and gravy to the stew. The flavor was wonderful. I added a can of beef consomme...very rich flavor. My family LOVED it! Thanks!!!! P.S. The crockpot works well with this!!!