We had this great corn chowder at our local pub, and DH just raved about it. He wanted me to ask for the recipe but I was pretty sure I could duplicate it. I dare say mine might even be a little bit better! This is a savory chowder, not sweet at all, with a spicy kick of cayenne. I guessed on the sizes of the cans, but they were all around 14 oz. standard canned veggie size.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole potatoes, drained and chopped in large pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken gravy
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper
- 1Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large sauce pan. Add the onions and peppers and cook just to translucent.
- 2Add the flour and stir and cook in the butter until it is a smooth paste. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until it is a golden color.
- 3Add the chicken broth gradually, stirring constantly until it is a smooth gravy. Turn the heat down to medium-low.
- 4Stir in both kinds of corn and the potatoes.
- 5Stir in the chicken gravy.
- 6Season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Cook and stir over low heat to allow flavors to blend, about 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kellymike's Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (547 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.0
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 17.4 mg
- Sodium 1620.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 11.2 g