We had this great corn chowder at our local pub, and DH just raved about it. He wanted me to ask for the recipe but I was pretty sure I could duplicate it. I dare say mine might even be a little bit better! This is a savory chowder, not sweet at all, with a spicy kick of cayenne. I guessed on the sizes of the cans, but they were all around 14 oz. standard canned veggie size.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole potatoes, drained and chopped in large pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken gravy
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper
- 1Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large sauce pan. Add the onions and peppers and cook just to translucent.
- 2Add the flour and stir and cook in the butter until it is a smooth paste. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until it is a golden color.
- 3Add the chicken broth gradually, stirring constantly until it is a smooth gravy. Turn the heat down to medium-low.
- 4Stir in both kinds of corn and the potatoes.
- 5Stir in the chicken gravy.
- 6Season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Cook and stir over low heat to allow flavors to blend, about 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kellymike's Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (547 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.0
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 17.4 mg
- Sodium 1620.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 11.2 g