Cook2 hrs 15 mins
I came up with this recipe because I couldn't find one that had all of the flavors I was looking for. I think the result is pretty delicious and the people I have served it to, all french onion soup elitists, have declared it one of the best they have had. I hope you will give it a shot!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs peeled sweet onions
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 56 ounces beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooking sherry
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- French baguette
- gruyere cheese
- shredded parmesan cheese
- Thinly slice onions.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot, once melted add onions.
- Saute onions over medium-low heat until they are soft and clear, about 30 minutes.
- Add pepper, paprika, and worcestershire sauce and saute 10 minutes more.
- Mix all liquid ingredients together with flour and salt.
- Add liquid mixture to stock pot.
- Simmer for 1.5 hours.
- Pour soup into oven-proof crocks and place on a baking sheet.
- Top each crock with a baguette round and large slice of gruyere cheese. Sprinkle paremesan cheese over the gruyere.
- Place under broiler until tops are browned and bubbling.