Prep 35 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I was searching for a Butternut Squash chowder or bisque recipe and just couldn't find what I was looking for. So, I came up with this crock pot recipe. This recipe is sweet with a mellow nutty flavor, if you would like something with a little more spice I would suggest adding some Turmeric or Cayenne Pepper. This is my very first attempt at creating my own recipe so please give me your feedback. I hope that you enjoy!
- 2 1⁄4 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- sour cream (to garnish)
- Place squash cubes, garlic, nuts, and olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until squash is soft (about 25 minutes).
- Place garlic, nut, and squash in a blender or food processor pulsing until pureed.
- Transfer mixture to crock pot and add the cream, chicken broth, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook on low heat 3-5 hours.
- Garnish with sour cream and a few remaining nuts.