Recipe by jamesmarkvart
The carrots add a special sweetness to this stew.
Top Review by Charlotte J
I had everything on hand to make this. Since I used a 3 pound roast I doubled the recipe. It just fit into my crockpot. I turned it on high for 5 hours and it came out great. I felt it had to much black pepper, as it called for 1 tablespoon. I think 1 teaspoon would have been better. That is the only change I'd make to this recipe. Mom use to make a stew like this when we were kids. I remember the sweetness from the carrots as you said and that she would also use tapioca. Thank you for this 'Blast from my Past' recipe and for posting it. Made for *Zaar Cookbooks Tag 2008* game
- 1 lb round steak
- 5 large carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tapioca
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 large onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut steak into 1 inch pieces.
- Slice Onion.
- Cut carrots into 2 inch pieces.
- Chop celery.
- Add above ingredients to a large pot and cover with tomatoes, pepper and tapioca.
- Cover pot and cook in a 275 to 300 degree preheated oven for six hours.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.