I've always felt so un-american not caring for apple pie! I LOVE pears, so one year I decided to come up with a PEAR pie! Here's my recipe, and I must say, it really is good!!! Hope you give it a try. Even if you're an apple pie lover, this is a nice treat from the norm.
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 cups ripe bosc pears, cored, peeled and thinly sliced (8 pears)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
- cinnamon or cinnamon sugar
- 2 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells
- In large bowl, whisk/mix first 6 ingredients. In medium bowl, slice cored, peeled pears into lemon juice, tossing as you go to prevent browning.
- Stir pears into dry mixture well. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into unbaked 9” deepdish pie shell. Dot top with butter.
- Cover with lattice top, or top of your choice. Tuck top edge under bottom edge, pinch/flute edge all the way around well to seal.
- Brush top with a little water very lightly, sprinkle top with cinnamon/sugar.
- Bake in 425º oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350º, bake 45-50 minutes longer. Watch for any excessive browning on edges, may need to cover them lightly with foil. Serve warm with Butter Pecan ice cream if desired!
- Makes a large pie, serves 6-8.
Great flavour with the spices! I'm going to try doing it as a crisp, too. You could even do the filling alone and serve it in parfait glasses with whipped cream or ice cream on top. Excellent!
One of the best pie fillings I've ever had... and made with my farm's very ripe pears. Delightful!
My sister said it may be the best pie she's ever eaten. She's not a pie fan. I had some trouble with this but I think it had to do with my pears. They may have been a bit underripe. I baked this pie nearly two hours and definitely had to cover with foil. Finally the filling started to thicken and the pears softened (but were still quite firm). Next time I might want to cook the filling first or be sure the pears are fully ripe. They were the texture of apples when they were raw.