Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've always felt so un-american not caring for apple pie! I LOVE pears, so one year I decided to come up with a PEAR pie! Here's my recipe, and I must say, it really is good!!! Hope you give it a try. Even if you're an apple pie lover, this is a nice treat from the norm.
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 cups ripe bosc pears, cored, peeled and thinly sliced (8 pears)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
- cinnamon or cinnamon sugar
- 2 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells
- In large bowl, whisk/mix first 6 ingredients. In medium bowl, slice cored, peeled pears into lemon juice, tossing as you go to prevent browning.
- Stir pears into dry mixture well. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into unbaked 9” deepdish pie shell. Dot top with butter.
- Cover with lattice top, or top of your choice. Tuck top edge under bottom edge, pinch/flute edge all the way around well to seal.
- Brush top with a little water very lightly, sprinkle top with cinnamon/sugar.
- Bake in 425º oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350º, bake 45-50 minutes longer. Watch for any excessive browning on edges, may need to cover them lightly with foil. Serve warm with Butter Pecan ice cream if desired!
- Makes a large pie, serves 6-8.
Delicious, loved the spices. However, the crust seemed to get soggy, which never happens with my apple pie. Any idea why this happens with pear pie (it was quite juicy)?
N Winter, I increased my corn starch. The recipe was perfect, taste was great! My pears were very juicy so I increased the corn starch and it was just like apple pie. Perfect!!!!!
Great flavour with the spices! I'm going to try doing it as a crisp, too. You could even do the filling alone and serve it in parfait glasses with whipped cream or ice cream on top. Excellent!