Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I entered this recipe into my 2006 company cook-off and got runner up for best soup! Thanks Kelle! My sister-in-law shared this recipe with me. Although I have another Tortilla Soup recipe I really enjoy, this one is less complicated to make. The recipe can be easily adapted to a crock pot by cooking most the ingredients on low for 8-10 hours (or high for 4), adding in the chicken and cilantro for the last hour of cooking. Works great for busy nights. You can also use a firm tortilla chip (such as Frito Lay's Gold Type) instead of deep frying the tortillas.
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of celery soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cheddar cheese soup
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) diced tomatoes (I like petite-diced)
- 1 cup salsa, medium
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or to your liking)
- salt and pepper, to your taste
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and chunked
- 10 flour tortillas
- 8 ounces colby cheese, shredded
- In a large stock pot whisk together all eight cans of soup.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, salsa, chilies, onion, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for an hour.
- Add cilantro and chicken and simmer another hour.
- During last hour of cooking, cut tortillas into strips with a pizza cutter.
- Deep fry tortilla strips in hot oil until they are browned. Drain on paper towels.
- Ladle soup into bowls; top with tortilla strips, and shredded cheese.
- **You can also top with additional chopped chicken, tomato, cilantro and/or sour cream.