1 hr 30 mins
This is a very easy, fairly quick recipe (prep time includes marinating chicken and baking cornbread 20-25 minutes) to put together. You can do the marinating and cornbread the day before if you like. I hope you like it as much as we do. Please let me know as this is the first recipe I've posted!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 green onions with tops, diced
- 1/2 granny smith apple, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups apple juice
- 2 granny smith apples, sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Prepare Jiffy cornbread (mix plus 1 egg plus 1/3 cup milk), baked for 25 minutes in 8x8 pan and then cooled and crumbled (2 cups).
- 2Sauté celery, onion, apple and thyme in melted butter.
- 3Add crumbled cornbread, 1 beaten raw egg, salt & pepper and walnuts.
- 4Add enough water (4 tbsp) so that mixture holds together.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Marinate chicken in apple juice, lemon juice and cinnamon, one hour to overnight.
- 7Slice apples into rounds.
- 8Place chicken breasts in (sprayed with nonstick) glass baking dish, so that they don't overlap, place stuffing on top of chicken and apple rounds on top of stuffing and bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked (no pink).
- 9Serve with green salad and chocolate almond cookies for dessert!
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kelley's Baked Apple Walnut Chicken With Cornbread Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 676.6
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 140.6 mg
- Sodium 838.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 23.8 g
- Protein 36.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper