Recipe by Kting
This is a very easy, fairly quick recipe (prep time includes marinating chicken and baking cornbread 20-25 minutes) to put together. You can do the marinating and cornbread the day before if you like. I hope you like it as much as we do. Please let me know as this is the first recipe I've posted!
Top Review by thatcherimboden
Not as flavorful as we expected. We could taste the cinnamon and walnut. We only let it marinate for an hour and a half. If we remade it, I would let it sit overnight. I would have used more than 2 cups crumbled cornbread. Save the remaining, uncrumpled cornbread and eat it with the meal. I like how it was different and the ease at which it was to prepare.
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 green onions with tops, diced
- 1⁄2 granny smith apple, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups apple juice
- 2 granny smith apples, sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Jiffy cornbread (mix plus 1 egg plus 1/3 cup milk), baked for 25 minutes in 8x8 pan and then cooled and crumbled (2 cups).
- Sauté celery, onion, apple and thyme in melted butter.
- Add crumbled cornbread, 1 beaten raw egg, salt & pepper and walnuts.
- Add enough water (4 tbsp) so that mixture holds together.
- Set aside.
- Marinate chicken in apple juice, lemon juice and cinnamon, one hour to overnight.
- Slice apples into rounds.
- Place chicken breasts in (sprayed with nonstick) glass baking dish, so that they don't overlap, place stuffing on top of chicken and apple rounds on top of stuffing and bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked (no pink).
- Serve with green salad and chocolate almond cookies for dessert!